The ASEAN is a bi-monthly magazine that provides up-to-date information on ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community developments, including ongoing initiatives and partnerships to address critical issues and emerging trends affecting the ASEAN region. It also carries profile pieces and human-interest stories on individuals and organisations that uphold ASEAN’s ideals and values.
Our website features the full content of the latest magazine release, plus select articles and interviews from past editions of the magazine. A limited number of print copies is available on a first come, first served basis. The full pdf version of all editions is also freely available for download.
The magazine is a product of the ASEAN Secretariat, under the supervision of the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Department or ASCCD. The ASEAN Secretariat is the working arm of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), a social, political, and economic grouping composed of the following Member States: Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Lao PDR, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Viet Nam.
We allow the republishing of articles in our website under the following terms:
1. Use our site’s own buttons or widgets: You must use our share article buttons when reposting in social media.
2. Cite and provide link to the original web article: If you wish to republish an article in your own website, blog, online forum, or other digital platforms, you may do either of the following:
i. indicate that the original article appears in The ASEAN and provide the complete citation in the following format: Author’s name. Title of the article. The ASEAN (volume/date). Jakarta: ASEAN Secretariat. URL of the issue or specific article.
ii. include the first paragraph or first few sentences the article and then say “Read the full article on The ASEAN” with a link back to the article
3. No alterations: You cannot edit or alter the original text of the article.
4. Separate permission for photos and artworks: Only photos and artworks in the public domain or under the creative commons license may be republished. If you wish to use photos and artworks belonging to the ASEAN Secretariat, you may request permission from The ASEAN (ASSCAD@asean.org). For non-ASEAN images, you must secure prior permission from the copyright owner(s).
5. Non-commercial use: You are not allowed to place the republished article under a paywall or digital subscription requirements. It must be freely accessible to all.
6. Inform the editorial team: You must notify the editorial team (ASSCAD@asean.org) as soon as you republish the article and provide the link to the same.
We allow the republishing of the full digital edition (in pdf) under the following terms:
1. Cite and provide link to the digital edition: If you wish to republish the complete pdf file in your own website, blog, online forum, social media, or other platforms, indicate that the digital edition is a publication of the ASEAN Secretariat and provide the complete citation in the following format: Issue Title. The ASEAN (volume/date). Jakarta: ASEAN Secretariat. URL of the issue.
2. Non-commercial use: You are not allowed to place the whole issue under a paywall or digital subscription requirements. It must be freely accessible to all.
3. Inform the editorial team: You must notify the editorial team (ASSCAD@asean.org) as soon as you republish the issue and provide the link to the same.
For articles authored by the ASEAN Secretariat (i.e., ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Department, ASEAN Economic Community Department, ASEAN Political Security Department), you may translate to your local language and post the translated work under the following terms:
1. Cite and provide link to the original article: Say “Unofficial/Independent translation of (Article title) written by (Author’s name), retrieved from The ASEAN (volume/date).” Provide link to the URL of the article.
2. Non-commercial use: You are not allowed to place the translated work under a paywall or require digital subscription prior to access. The translated work must be freely accessible to all.
3. Inform the editorial team: You must notify the editorial team (ASSCAD@asean.org) as soon as the translated work is posted and provide the link to the same, for possible sharing in our social media.
For externally authored articles, you must request prior permission to translate from the editorial team (ASSCAD@asean.org). Alternatively, you may contact the external author directly to secure permission and then provide proof of the author’s consent to the editorial team. Once permission is secured, you may translate and post the work under the same terms and conditions as the ASEAN-authored articles.
You are not permitted to use the ASEAN logo on any translated material. Separate permission is also needed for republishing photos and artworks from the original article. The translator is solely liable for errors or omissions in translation and any resulting legal action or proceedings.